Each spring, a nation-wide high school arts competition is sponsored by the Congressional Institute. The Artistic Discovery Contest is an opportunity to recognize and encourage the artistic talent in the nation, as well as in our congressional district.
- High school students residing in Texas' 25th Congressional District are eligible to submit one piece of artwork.
- Email an attached photo of artwork (including dimensions) by Friday, April 26, 2019 to Ruth.Zachary@mail.house.gov.
- Three winners from the 25th District will be chosen Thursday, May 2, 2019.
- Winners will be sent a FedEx label to ship their artwork to Congressman Williams' Washington, DC office.
All entries must be: framed and weigh no more than 15 pounds (including frame) and measure no more than 26 inches wide by 26 inches tall by 4 inches deep (including frame).
Entries may be:
- Paintings – including oil, acrylics and watercolor
- Drawings – including pastels, pencil, colored pencil, charcoal, ink and markers
- Collages – must be two dimensional
- Prints – including lithographs, silkscreen and block prints
- Mixed Media – use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor
- Computer Generated Art
Entries must be original in concept, design, and execution and may not violate U.S. copyright laws. Any entry that has been copied from an existing photo or image (including a painting, graphic, or advertisement) that was created by someone other than the student is a violation of the competition rules and will not be accepted.
Entries must be in the original medium (that is, not a scanned reproduction of a painting or drawing).
The Congressional Art Competition began in 1982 to provide an opportunity for members of Congress to encourage and recognize the artistic talents of their young constituents. Since then, over 650,000 high school students have been involved with the nationwide competition. Southwest Airlines offers each first-place Congressional Art Competition winner two round-trip tickets to attend the reception in June. There will be a winner’s reception held on June 24, 2019. Second and third place winning entries will be displayed in Congressman Williams' district offices.